7. IS THERE ANY KIND OF ROLE PROGRESSION (PROMOTION) IN AMERICORP'S BASED ON MY PERFORMANCE?
No progression in this role. It’s only a year commitment the current one from Sept 1st 2020 to June 30th 2011.
8. HOW WILL THIS PROGRAM WORK DURING THE COVID-19 TIME?
The program will go virtual, or in hybrid mode if the situation demands due to COVID-19.
9. ARE SCHEDULES FLEXIBLE?
Schedules are most flexible for the Community Liaison position and both Disaster Services positions.
10. HOW OLD DO I NEED TO BE TO PARTICIPATE?
The minimum age requirement for most programs is 18. While a few programs are designed specifically for young adults, the majority of our programs have no upper age limit.
11. DO I HAVE TO BE ONSITE OR TRAVEL TO THE LOCATIONS FOR SERVICE?
ALL positions are in Houston. There is no travel out of town and we envision much less commuting as well, due to COVID19.
12. WILL I GET PAID?
Yes, you will receive a modest living allowance throughout your service term. The stipend is around $900 to $1200 per month depending on the position and the hours served.
13. IS AN ALLOWANCE PROVIDED FOR OUT OF TOWN/STATE RELOCATION?
Unfortunately, no such allowance is provided.
14. WOULD I HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON THE LIVING ALLOWANCE?
Yes, Members are responsible for Federal Income Taxes which will be deducted from the monthly stipend. Sewa will also contribute to FICA monthly.
15. WHAT SKILLS DO I NEED TO APPLY?
Most programs look for people with the passion to be part of the greater good. Some programs list desired skills, others look for applicants with specific education, volunteer, or job experience.
16. WHICH POSITIONS REQUIRE BILINGUAL SKILLS?
All positions benefit from bilingual English/Spanish because of the populations being served.
For the Community Liaison position, Spanish is critical. Other languages such as Urdu, Arabic, Vietnamese.
17. WHAT IS "ASPIRE"?
Assuring Student Progress In Remedial Education is a Sewa education program that brings after-school centers to apartment communities catering to recent immigrant and refugee populations.
18. WILL I GET ANY TRAINING BEFORE I BEGIN MY SERVICE?
Yes, you will receive training at the beginning of your service, as well as project-specific training during service.
19. WHAT BENEFITS ARE PROVIDED DURING AND AFTER SERVICE?
Education Award to pay for college or trade school expenses, or to repay qualified student loans
Loan deferment and interest forbearance on qualified student loans, while in service
20. IS THERE ANY TYPE OF AWARD AT THE COMPLETION OF AN AMERICORPS YEAR?
Yes, there is an Education Award that varies depending on the number of hours served.
21. IS AMERICORPS SIMILAR TO MILITARY SERVICE?
AmeriCorps is a form of National Service—an opportunity to serve your country by serving your community. AmeriCorps Service is a highlight on a Member’s resume
22. DO I GET HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFITS?
Since all our positions are part time currently, no healthcare and childcare benefits.
23. ARE THERE ANY LOAN FORGIVENESS PROGRAMS OR REPAYMENT PLANS THAT I MIGHT QUALIFY FOR AS AN AMERICORPS MEMBER?
On September 27, 2007, President Bush signed the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 (“CCRAA”) into law. In addition to other amendments to the Higher Education Act of 1965, the CCRAA created two new federal programs: a new Public Service Loan Forgiveness program and a new Income-Based Repayment plan (IBR) for the repayment of federal loans. The new Income-Based Repayment plan helps to make repaying education loans more affordable for low-income borrowers, such as an
AmeriCorps Member living on a stipend; AmeriCorps service is also recognized as equivalent to a public service job for the purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. To learn more, see Education Award FAQs.
24. CAN I DEFER STUDENT LOANS DURING MY SERVICE WITH AMERICORPS?
Members may qualify for postponement, or forbearance, of the repayment of their loans during service. The education award will help you pay off qualified student loans when you're finished. You may also qualify to have the interest accrued on your student loans during service paid for by the National Service Trust. Contact your lender for more specific information or to confirm your loan status during AmeriCorps service. To learn more, see Education Award FAQs.