AmeriCorps Education Interventionist (Language Academy) – 25 hours/week – 10 Positions
- Total number of hours: Half-Time-- 900 hours which include training, service hours and professional development
- September 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023
Service Location: Middle School and High School Campuses in Harris and Fort Bend Counties
- Serves within area Independent School Districts, catering to children in middle school and high school
- Engages with approximately 20 students per day in mostly 1:1 via a push-in intervention or in larger pull-out interventions as appropriate. Provides supplementary instruction in English or Spanish for bilingual and/or ESL program students needing intervention.
- Meets with teachers to plan and implement supplementary interventions
- Ensures understanding and comprehension for ESL students to complete classroom activities successfully
- Fosters a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment to encourage English language development, enhances motivation, and clearly communicate classroom routines and expectations.
- Maintains complete and accurate records of student’s progress
- Informs Classroom Teachers of student's progress
- Leads students in two community service programs throughout the year
Required/Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- An interest in teaching children
- A desire to help children in underserved communities
- Ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven organizational skills
- Self-initiative and responsibility
- Ability to work well in a Team
- Ability to maintain accurate and updated records
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- A commitment to humanitarian issues, equal access to opportunity, and building resilient, welcoming communities.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, ongoing studies and comparable work experience that can be applied to the requirements of this position.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or be a permanent resident.
- Enrollment in the program is contingent on the results of a National Service Criminal History Check that includes FBI fingerprinting and national record check, National Sex Offender Registry, and state criminal background check.