AmeriCorps Education Interventionist (ASPIRE) – 25 hours/week - 3 Positions
- Total number of hours: Half-Time-- 900 hours which include training, service hours and professional development
- Living Allowance $10,500 Education Award $3,247.50
- September 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023
Service Location: Sewa International ASPIRE After School Center in SW Houston
- Serves within Sewa’s after school program which caters to children from grades k-5 (ages 5-11) five hours/day, five days/week
- Engages with up to 15 students per day either 1:1 via a push-in intervention or in small groups of up to 8Provides supplementary instruction in English or Spanish for bilingual and/or ESL program students needing intervention
- Meets with Lead Education Coordinators to plan and implement supplementary interventions
- Informs Lead Education Coordinators of students’ progress and needs in supplementary interventions
- Helps students complete homework and other after school activities successfully
- Maintains complete and accurate records of student’s progress
- Fosters a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment to encourage language development, enhance motivation, and clearly communicate center routines and expectations.
- Leads students in two community service programs throughout the year
Required/Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- An interest in teaching
- A desire to help children from underserved communities
- Ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven organizational skills
- Self-initiative and responsibility
- Ability to work well in a Team
- Ability to maintain accurate and updated records
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- A commitment to humanitarian issues, equal access to opportunity, and building resilient, welcoming communities.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or ongoing studies and comparable work experience that can be applied to the requirements of this position
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or be a permanent resident.
- Enrollment in the program is contingent on the results of a National Service Criminal History Check that includes FBI fingerprinting and national record check, National Sex Offender Registry, and state criminal background check.